Machine Animation Tutorial: Rigging a Cable Chain | Maya 2017
Joe explains how to use the IK spline function to create rigging for a cable chain.
- Group all chain links and make sure they are aligned to the XYZ axes for proper rotation
- Use the Skeleton>Create Joints tool to create a joint chain. Be sure to turn on Point Snapping to align each joint to the center of rotation for each chain link.
- Use Create>Curve Tools>EP Curve Tool to create a curve with CVs at each joint. Again, be sure to turn on Point Snapping.
- Create the IK setup by using Skeleton>Create IK Spline Handle
- Bind the chain links to the joints by middle-mouse-dragging each polygon object into its respective joint in the Outliner.
- Attach the curve to the “grabber” by using driven keyframes or by writing an expression
- chainCurve.translateX = (grabberObject.translateX / 2)